Presentation slides and curricular materials for code combat

I am interested as well!

1 Like

Wow, this looks great, Tom.

Would you mind if we directed other teachers to this resource?

1 Like

Please could you make these resources available to me, myself and other Computer Science teachers at our school are just about to embark on a course for your KS 3 pupils. Many thanks

1 Like

I am interested in your materials. Are you still sharing them?

1 Like

I’m interested in your JavaScript materials - do you have a link or are these offline permanently?

Also - do you have anything geared for teacher trainings?

Thanks!

1 Like

Two more links on the page. One for class posters and one for course objectives. They are on dropbox. Let me know if it works / is useful. Feel free to modify / pirate them in anyway you wish.

Link to 4 posters (a pptx using A4 sized slides) for the walls. It provides some example code and some vastly oversimplified definitions of terms so students can get a functional understanding of what things such as - pickUpFlag() method requires an object instead of a color string - mean. I find it saves me a lot of time debugging as I can point to the poster first and then help them if they still have problems.

Forum Post with Poster

Javascript Poster < needs proofreading.

Oh, and I borrowed a lot from thomasd538 to make this. I hope you don’t mind.

Objectives - fixed now

Some impressive sounding object that go with the course. They should all be completed by the end of the forest world. They are so full of jargon your admin will never know if they were completed or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swwb6fyb7ckpba8/course%20objectives%2012.8.2015.docx?dl=0

1 Like

That first poster is great! The second link isn’t working for me, though.

1 Like

Link was broken. I put an older version up for now. I also need to upload the ppt instead of the pdf for people who would like to edit the posters.

Update
I think I have fixed the links. PPTX used with some updated definitions and course objectives are the same as I posted in the forum

1 Like

I repackaged the Teacher’s Guide as lesson plans (python):

It would be nice if teachers were allowed access to the student’s code for the Final Kithmaze and Kithgard Gates as with those two levels it is possible to show evidence that all teaching objectives have been reached.

Forum Post with Updated Lesson Plans

2 Likes

Hi! Yes, I am very interested in all your materials since we just started with Code Combat last year in my programming classes. I teach at Passaic High School in Passaic, NJ. Thank you!
Mariechen McNish

1 Like

Hello

I am curious about what the youngest recommended age would be which one could teach Code Combat to. I apologise if this is mentioned somewhere, but I couldn’t seem to find it.

1 Like

I am currently running it with grade 5 and 6 students, and will be trying with grade 4 next quarter. I remember seeing on one of the marketing pages that they got it to work with grade 3, although I am not sure that you could make it very far beyond hour of code with that. Keep in mind that if you are just tutoring it to a child, rather than a group of students you will be able to progress to higher levels.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice.

I work for a Japanese kindergarten so our older students will be around 5-6 years old. Even when they move onto elementary school a lot of the students will return each evening for English lessons. I’m looking into the possibility of teaching some basics with the option of continuing onto more advanced lessons as they get older. (through evening classes)

1 Like

I have no idea if it will work with that age level. They might be able to do some of the early levels. It will certianly work as they get older and is probably the best one if you want them to write in actual code. Code.org has some very basic things for that age. I am not sure if it will be too easy.

1 Like

I am very interested, and I would love it if you could share it with me :smiley:

1 Like

thomasd’s materials are here
My lesson plans and posters are here

1 Like

I would like to see your presentation slides as well. I am teaching a coding class for summer enrichment, and the slides would be a great way for me to begin the class. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you for sharing with the community. I would love to have a copy of your presentation slides, lessons and assessments. I’m a new special education technology teacher and I want to use code combat with my students.

Thank!

Alana

1 Like

Good!but how do I get the prsentation slides?

Very instructive poster in For method in friend topic.