What coding program do you need?

Hey!
I am new at coding and I wonder what program do you need to use is it Java Disrepct or does eclipse work, I tried with Eclipse but it didn’t seem to work.

It would be cool if anyone could help me.

To write code, you need either a simple text editor (like Notepad++) or a powerful-but-complex integrated development environment (IDE) like Eclipse. There are lots of choices for each; the best one depends on what kind of code you want to write. What do you want to make?

1 Like

I want to start a RPG Game but how come when I write etc this.moveRight(); on eclipse then it won’t work it gives me a red error like this http://gyazo.com/21127fb5b04ebb51ca0518590b272304 I can’t fix this idk if you can either.

this.moveRight(); is part of CodeCombat; it’s one of the methods provided by the Simple Boots item. In Eclipse, you would have to write the logic for what this.moveRight(); does before you could use it.

Eclipse is also giving you Java, which is a different programming language than JavaScript, which is what you are doing on CodeCombat.

If you are okay switching to Python, the Pygame library has a lot of functions intended for game development. Python normally ships with it’s own editor, IDLE.

However - developing a 2-d game is probably not the easiest place to start. I don’t want to dissuade you from trying to make something awesome, but managing all the graphics and animations can be a pain. Some of my earliest ‘game’ projects were MUD-type games (all text based) or puzzles.

If you have access to Adobe Flash, you can create Flash games written in ActionScript. Kongregate.com has some tutorials that I recommend for a new ActionScript programmer.

In any case, start small at first. Don’t give up. And don’t hesitate to ask for help.