Need more Gems!

Well, I think it’s more fair to say some will and some won’t. There are lots of challenges here and whenever we log on here we make implicit decisions as to which challenges are most useful or interesting to us and which aren’t.

Nick used the word “fun” which is the key to counting lines or statements or whatever. It’s not meant to be something that leads to the absolute best coding, it’s just another challenge that folks can take up or ignore.

Also, there still can be learning from non-optimal coding. For example, if you adopt the goal of minimizing lines or statements, 90% of your changes might be bad but 10% might give you some new insight. I think that’s actually one of the minor goals of the obfuscated perl contests, but I can’t even read “good” perl code, so I’m not sure. (I can write bad perl code though!)

It’s so cliche, but coding to minimize the number of lines or statements is what it is. What it’s not is any attempt to generate the absolute most optimal code in some global sense – which can’t be done anyway!

3 Likes

This thread got so meta, but I can’t stop thinking about it… :smile:

Are there any existing ways to score code based on DRY (don’t repeat yourself)? You could somewhat measure that just by zipping the source and checking the compression ratio (although with source code this tiny the zipping overhead probably makes that method useless in practice).

Also, not as easy to explain a compression ratio to users compared to just counting lines. But could just explain DRY and then produce a magic “DRY score” for code.

3 Likes

Good points all. I’m don’t think that lines of code is necessarily the best metric, I just wanted to throw the idea out there that there could be a score based on code efficiency. Perhaps clock cycles would be a good metric (although it’s a bit of a killer for the move() boots!).

And @Vlevo - did you solve in 3 lines before I posted, or did you go back and revise your code to make it more concise? Beause that is exactly what I’m trying to encourage: I think there should be an encouragement to revisit your code and think of it in a different light. This is done to an extent with the leaderboards, but I think that there are multiple approaches to encouraging the revisiting and revising of code.

3 Likes

I usually try to do the level as expected. Then if I feel like it I do it another way . . . so you get the credit for making me feel like it on this one. :smiley:

3 Likes

I have a similar problem as the thread starter - but I’m only level 7 and stuck at “Bekannter Feind” with only 44 Gems. I would like to reset my account without deleting it.

3 Likes

or you could try this post for another idea.

3 Likes

Doing it now. Thank you for your help!

4 Likes

So i’ve done that and simulated some hundred games. But still I don’t have even one more gem. What’s the trick about it? I’m loosing my interest in this game, as I won’t spend money as a workaround for a bad concept. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t spend, if I stay here … but forcing me that way is just wrong.

4 Likes

I needed to click the “speaker button” as I found out, in another thread. That stuff really needs a functional update … my problem is solved

3 Likes

It also updates as you play the game . . . but, yeah if you are stuck waiting for gems then you won’t be “playing normally”. Sorry for not thinking about it not updating the gems.

3 Likes

It would be nice if CC checked your gem count every time you logged in.

3 Likes

Has anyone recommended being able to sell armor and weapons back to get gems? Because I think that would be a nice addition to the game.

3 Likes

Is it possible for you to reset my purchases as well? (Please!!!)

2 Likes

Yes, this feature request is being tracked over here.

4 Likes

@nick Could I get a purchase reset when you get a chance, please? I had a ton of gems when I was a non-subscriber, so I bought some of the lesser items. I didn’t realize that there are not nearly enough subscription levels to actually pay for subscription heroes/equipment. I’ve completed every level available (even some hidden ones, like Assembly Speed) and still don’t have top gear for my wizard or ranger. All I can really do is simulate at this point.

1 Like

I really messed up and spent 6000 gems and now I need to buy something with 2000 gems but I only have about 400. Is there any way I can only get a purchase reset for that?

1 Like

If nobody said this, sumolate games and then go afk or do something else

1 Like

where is the speaker button

1 Like

Can you please reset my gem purchases? username=checha1232

sorry for posting on a dead topic