"Patrol Buster" help?

Hi!

First, thanks so much for Code Combat. I’m working on changing careers by learning how to code. I’m fairly new to coding, so I’m sure there is a simple answer to this question that I’m just not seeing.

On “Patrol Buster”, I wrote a code where the warrior kills each enemy and returns to the center of the map. It works fine, but I keep getting an “Unexpected Token” error. It has to do with “dead”, but the code works. I tried re-writing several different ways using else, elif, and such, but I can’t figure it out. Below is my code, thanks for the help!

loop:
    enemy = self.findNearestEnemy()
    if enemy:
    self.attack(enemy)
    if enemy dead:
    self.moveXY(35, 30)

I’ve also tried if enemy health = 0, same effect.

1 Like

Well, dead enemies aren’t returned by findNearestEnemy, so every “enemy” you see is alive.
When there’s no nearest enemy is because there are no enemies alive on the map, so you can just add an else: instead of if enemy.health == 0:.

1 Like

It still sees a dead enemy as a target, but the target is null. I get an error saying “Target is null, is there always a target to attack?”

I’ve tried different versions of else commands, but I can’t figure out exactly what it’s looking for to stop targeting a dead enemy and move to the next one.

1 Like

You’re using Python which is sensitive to white-space, in order for the if statement to determine whether or not the attack method is called, it needs to be indented properly:

loop:
    if enemy:
        self.attack(enemy)
    else:
        self.moveXY(...)

Otherwise you have:

if enemy:
    # do nothing
self.attack(enemy) #always try to attack the enemy variable.
3 Likes

That fixed it! I didn’t realize indenting was that important. I fixed my indentations and everything ran perfectly.

Thanks very much for your help!

1 Like

It doesnt work!!
I need help, i’m stuck. already finished gems or death.

1 Like

Please include more info on your actual problem. What happens? Does it give you an error message? Does it behave in an unexpected way? Which one?

1 Like

Yep, one of the reasons why I like Python, and suggest it to starting coders is because of the strict indentation.

Good code uses indentation to show levels and make it more readable, Python inherently enforces this practice.

1 Like

This is not true for example in JavaScript. The following is a totally valid JavaScript-Programm, but do you know what’s going on in there?

Bad Indentations
loop{var items = this.findItems(); var best = null; var value = 0; for(var i = 0; i < items.length; i++){if (items[i].value > value){best = items[i]; value = best.value;}} this.move(best.pos);}

Better is

Good Indentations
loop{
    var items = this.findItems();
    var best = null;
    var value = 0;

for(var i = 0; i < items.length; i++){
        if (items[i].value > value){
            best = items[i]; 
            value = best.value;
        }
    } 
    this.move(best.pos);
}
1 Like

sorry it fixed itself there was a bug

1 Like

its not working can someone help me
[merged posts]

what code is that used for (asked of jklauser)

[merged posts]

here is part of the codei found out

enemy1 = self.findNearestEnemy()
self.attack(enemy1)

1 Like

“Hi, I need help” . . . doesn’t get anyone very far…
What kind of help? What is wrong? What have you tried? what code did you use and what did it do or not do that you did or didn’t expect?
(Read the FAQ before posting so you will have an idea of what to post and how to do so if you include code.)

1 Like

Im have the same problem but insted of self i put this
help???

1 Like

Hey this is Luke Patterson you, I started coding a month ago, and have gotten to backwoods forest, I dont know if this is right but in the code, I dont think its necessary to move to the enemy. I think you should let them come to you then kill them. Heres the code that I did:
loop:
# If there is an enemy, attack it!
if enemy:
self.attack(enemy)
self.attack(enemy)

Hope this helps and good luck!!

1 Like

Hey I did this code a few days ago. Could you send me the code you used?

1 Like

Please do not post working code. It gives an easy completion of a level without providing the intended learning experience.

1 Like

I apologize from now on I will try to be more careful.

1 Like

it dont work why not??? :confused:

1 Like

It’s been one month since this post has been active. Please leave the dead resting! Create your own topic if you need help.

2 Likes

This is what I used:
[redacted, please don’t post correct solutions]

1 Like