Topic for University/Majors/Careers!

Your so much positive than anyone I know

That’s an interesting thing to do!
Actually, you can start Paper trading even now (Paper trading is when you invest in real market but with virtual money)
I’ve started Paper trading on Trading View since the beginning of this year, it’s a great practice without any risks. You can use technical analysys instruments as well.

1 Like

Thank you!

Im gonna be honest with, being positive, yet maintaining a realistice view is what keeps me going

We have dont the positivity part so we can do the realistic part

So your goal is to study CS at MIT

What are the steps you need to do?

1. Get a good GPA
  2. Get a good SAT/ACT score
  3. Have consistent extracurriculars
  4. Write good essays

Thats 4 steps, cool enough

To break them down a bit more

Getting a good GPA

• use study techniques
  • take AP or Honors classes (except dont overwork yourself, 1 or 2 APs are good enough)

Getting a good SAT score

• start practicing since now

Consistent extracurriculars

• find your passion (max 3 hobbies)
  • find clubs/internships/activities that align with your hobbies that you can add on your application
  • if you couldnt find you should take initiative

Good essays

• be genuine when writing and expressing yourself because MIT aint looking for a streotypical smart student, they are looking for individuals who will be unique and contribute in their own way to the communtiy
  • practice on given prompts once a month, if you write one essay per month, by the time of applying you would be ready
  • read other example essays from people who were admitted

Thats a brief plan on the steps you can start taking right now. Some may seem hard at the moment, so pick one from each category and try to be consistent throughout a full month or so, after that try to add more things. Keep the priority for your weakest points as you wanna be well rounded too

Once you are a good level from many aspects, try to focus on your strong points and grow them because what is special to you is what will make you stand out

4 Likes

I looked it up, MIT isn’t AS harsh as it’s made out to be, realistically you can still have a High B average, Low B Average or Just B average and pretty easily make it in, you just might not be on Scholarship.

1 Like

BUT the acceptance rate is still a staggering 4% average and a 4.7% early average, so it is best to strive for A-'s to A’s

1 Like

I’m planning on majoring in dance and joining a professional company after. I’d like a minor or elective (idk what the proper name for it is lol) in kinesiology.

2 Likes

A minor is the proper term, I’m studying for my Chinese Minor. I hope you do well with the dancing Minor

2 Likes

What does a minor mean?

Also whats the difference between double major

Is it like for the minor you take less courses or smthn?

Screenshot 2024-04-12 2.39.45 PM

2 Likes

From what I understand from taking a minor myself, it’s basically just a less advanced degree to put it in simple terms

2 Likes

A double major means your studying two fields intensely

1 Like

Here’s my plan:

The dream? Become the next Elon Musk. The more realistic goal? Become a web dev.

The goal is simple, major in Comp Sci and (maybe) minor in math. Where? Probably MIT. My parents really want me to go to Howard University because it’s a HBCU and since I’m black it just lines up, or something along those lines, but I’ma be real. I do NOT want to go there. Howard could be a back up plan, but then again being self-taught doesn’t sound too bad either, and I’ve been trying to do that for years.

After the college arc, I’ll probably work for a start up or maybe as a data scientist or something. The idea is to get a job I like and then when I’m set up enough I’ll try doing my own projects, or maybe updating old projects if I made any.

And then, AI will probably replace us all, but I’ll have had my own AIs to back me up. That way during the AI apocalypse I won’t be a complete lost cause.

4 Likes

Hey uhh

When you’re Elon Musk 2 can I maybe borrow some money and have an AI army?

In return I’ll give you 4 pennies, a half-eaten chocolate bar, and…
fishes around in pocket more
A playstation.

eebc9065d3a2fd43231cd5e871d6fb97 (1)

5 Likes

WOW A PLAYSTATION??? Bet, it’s a deal.

2 Likes

what the
I’m thinking of majoring in music and minoring in computer science

1 Like

first of all, do you know what units are? a unit is 1 hour of class per week, and 3 hours of studying per week, so a unit is 4 hours of work per week in one semester (spring, summer, or fall).

a minor is something you would pursue in college but aren’t that serious about it, maybe for like a fallback job or something. it’s about 30 units.

a major is something you would pursue in college because you are serious about getting a job with it. for instance, majoring in biology would almost guarantee you a job as a biologist. why? because a major can be more than 120 units. if you have a major in something, people know that you have a LOT of knowledge and experience in the majored subject.
a double major is when you pursue two majors at once. most people don’t do this because it’s a lot of work, and by that I mean 18 to 22 units per semester. (for reference, 15 units is considered a full workload.) it’s possible, but you’ll have little to no free time. the perks of a double major? you’ll be really knowledgeable, not to mention job-acceptable, in two different subjects.

2 Likes

lol what a coincidence XD

idk what i wanna major in. Maybe law, medicine, or finance? idk yet

it’s actually kinda silly like from a young age i always wanted to be in the medical field but not a doctor cause i don’t want to go through med school and i always want to do engineering so i just combined the two

1 Like

I was thinking about becoming a doctor, but after figuring out the examinations, I’m starting to rethink my life. I’ll probably still become one, or become a lawyer, engineer, or YouTuber I guess.

1 Like