[Guide] Using the Boss Star

Only Nick can get it. Or… you can hack it.

ok thx (20 BOSS) :open_mouth:

And boss star 4 still isn’t on the list…

Here is another post with some details about the Boss Stars and what units can be summoned.

Hi!
I’m really late to the convo here, because I’m new, and just learned about this achievement last night in response to a post I made when encountering this (thanks again to @Chaboi_3000!) .

I may have an unpopular suggestion, however, it is from the perspective of a new player and beginner coder. I’ve tried to find as much info as I can read to make sure I understand this upgrade, so forgive any ignorance.

Has it been mentioned or are there potential plans in place to limit the Boss Star out from low level head-to-head challenges? Or a special division of head-to-head challenges that include advanced players without it who wish to engage with higher challenges against those with?

Or even, possibly a pairing parameter that would prevent early-learners/beginners/intermediates from encountering a challenger with these abilities and additional units?

I was OBLITERATED in a head-to-head with a challenger with it and had no idea what was happening - I thought it was a hack or a break!!

But, just wondering, as it seems like an easy way for some folks to exploit to bloat scoring and rewards - and also an easy way to frustrate some folks who are using those games to explore and tighten up their code. It’s hard to gauge how the code alterations are affecting a fighting response if your character is getting destroyed before one is able to observe changes in actions after tweaks.

Just a newbie’s 200 cents! (and sorry if this is the totally wrong place to post a suggestion for gameplay restrictions for this feature - I’m still navigating and reading where everything is!)

Thanks!
Sheena

1 Like

Hi everyone here.
I have a suggestion:
Since the one of the wizards’ staffs have a spell that summons a burl, so I suggest the Boss Star might not be able to spawn a burl, but can control a friendly one or one that a wizard summoned

1 Like

I really like that idea! I’ve always wanted to be able to command burls. Maybe it could also be done with a ring, like the ring that commands skeletons. Then you could command your boss star troops, skeletons and burls in one level!

Perhaps that will be forthcoming with the infamous BS V!

Yeah I agree, especially cause the “Unholy Tome V” lets you summon skeletons and undeads.
What wants the Boss Star V to allow to hero to command burls and skeletons summoned by the hero, and undeads risen by the hero? (Push this in front of item developers, especially those who are developing the Boss Star V)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Nick so weak and I won him 100 time

cool how does it work

Hi. With boss star 4, you gain acces to a new command : target.pos. How do I use it in code?

These are some very rough examples, but might give you an idea. You can derive the individual components from .pos, or use .pos like a vector::

enemyPos = enemy.pos # the coordinates of the enemy
    enemyX = enemy.pos.x # the x coord
    enemyY = enemy.pos.y # the y coord
    hero.command(friend, "move", enemyPos) # using the whole .pos
        # you can also just use enemy.pos, not needing to derive anything else
    hero.moveXY(enemyX, enemyY) # using the individual coords 
        # same as hero.moveXY(enemy.pos.x, enemy.pos.y)

While this demonstrates what appears to be redundant methods, there might be times when the derivations come in handy, if not actually needed.

Thanks for help! :smiley:

thx this is pritty helpful

Hello and welcome to codecombat discourse! This is a cozy forum where you can share ideas, share fan art, get assistance for code, etc! Before you proceed, we hope that you review this topic, which shows all essentials of this board! Thanks!

1 Like

Hey thebagel. It’s good you found this usefull but please dont revive dead topics.

1 Like

Hmm… i’m really new to this. sry if im asking wrong q’s, but what a dead topic?

1 Like

No no. Do not worry. A ‘dead’ topic is one which has not been posted in for a long time (this one 10 months). It’s ok to post in it for certain reasons, like if you needed help with using the boss star, but if it’s for helping someone (who is probably inactive), or saying thank you, we would rather you didn’t. Why not use the like button instead?
Of course, it doesn’t matter that much, so, again, don’t worry about it. :smile:, it’s just a preference.
Danny

3 Likes