It was nice to be here, but I can disappear for some/long time (or forever:) )

He’s not referring to the Chinese people(I’ve met many great Chinese people), but rather the country. He’s correct that China is notorious for its media censorship, authoritarian government, and violation of human rights. (Look at Taiwan, HK, Uyghur Genocide) I agree it’s a great country. Lots of historical sites, thousands of years of history, innovation, etc. And the food is just amazing :sparkles: The government? Not so much. :cry:

6 Likes

Good news. The USS Roosevelt (DDG-80), an Arleigh-Burke class destroyer appears to be on its way to Ukraine It is currently moving through the pass into the Mediterranean. From what I understand, the United States military cannot send the Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), which is currently docked at Croatia due to maintenance. So the US APPEARS to be sending aid.

3 Likes

If the’re sending soldiers it probably won’t go well.

1 Like

Is it just me, or the tension is rising? (In the world and in the discourse.)

2 Likes

were just here to support Alex through this time

3 Likes

If you mean your nationality or race instead of religion, then yes of course, I can’t change that, and I wouldn’t want to.

You need only read my post to find the answer to your question:

Finally:

This is just ridiculous. I used to live in London, but that does not mean I’m the foremost expert on it, or that I know what everyone in London thinks or does. That’s just not how it works. If you knew everything about China, you would know everything about the Uyghur Genocide. Honestly, you don’t want to find out about it, because it is shocking and horrible, but if you do look it up, you will find out just how evil the CCP really is. It’s literally one of the worst things which anyone has ever done since the holocaust, and it’s still going on. I can’t believe the Winter Olympics happened in China. I personally think China should be boycotted from everything until they stop their crimes.
However, we’re straying off topic here…

4 Likes

You’re being very racist rn

1 Like

How dare you make such an unfair and incorrect accusation? As I said, I’m not saying the Chinese people are evil, because that’s not at all true. I do believe that Xi Jinping and the CCP are evil though, and if you look at their actions you should agree. Everything I said in my post is true. If you can prove it wrong, please go ahead, but I don’t think you will be able to.
I don’t understand how you seem incapable of accepting any flaws in the Chinese government even though their crimes are numerous and proven.
You shouldn’t make such accusations when they’re so clearly untrue. I’m sorry that your ancestral homeland is ruled by a evil dictator, but it’s just the way it is, and again: I’m making no comment on the Chinese people, just on individuals (e.g. Xi). I’ll say this again as well: read the wikipedia article on the Uyghur genocide (if you have the stomach for it) and honestly tell me there’s nothing wrong with the Chinese government.

I find it quite upsetting that we’re seeing the kind of brainwashed and blind nationalism which has caused so many global conflicts and crimes. I’m sure there are many similar people in Russia, who think that Russia can do no wrong, and therefore support Putin’s invasion. The parallels between these two situations are quite strong and very disturbing. Perhaps this discussion isn’t so off-topic after all…

4 Likes

Ik this is off-topic, but why did alex remove his pfp?

He’s not being racist. I like American. Do I like the political leaders in America? No, not particularly. But that doesn’t mean I’m racist.
I know very little about China, but I know many Chinese are very sweet people. But their government is quite evil. Does that mean I hate the Chinese people? Also no.
It’s the same for Deadpool. He likes the people, not the government, and that’s not racism.

2 Likes

Please, let’s try to bring the discussion back to civility. I’ll note two of our forum guidelines: “don’t be rude to anybody” and “keep politics out of the discussions”.

If you are trying to navigate a charged discussion, see a few more generally useful guidelines from another forum (“In Comments” section):

Be kind. Don’t be snarky. Have curious conversation; don’t cross-examine. Please don’t fulminate. Please don’t sneer, including at the rest of the community.

Comments should get more thoughtful and substantive, not less, as a topic gets more divisive.

When disagreeing, please reply to the argument instead of calling names. “That is idiotic; 1 + 1 is 2, not 3” can be shortened to “1 + 1 is 2, not 3.”

Please respond to the strongest plausible interpretation of what someone says, not a weaker one that’s easier to criticize. Assume good faith.

5 Likes

I think it’s a good topic to discuss. By evaluating the current situation and connecting it to our history, we can get a deeper understanding of why something is occurring instead of something different. Understanding global history also gets rid of bias and assumptions we may potentially hold, too. Try looking at global developments from the 20th to 21st century. It’ll shed some light on why things that happened in history paved way for what’s happening today around the globe. Personally, I think the meaning of studying world history has a larger meaning than, “what happened in year x”, but rather, “how did these historical events develop our current society?” Usually, I would have locked political topics, but I believe it’s vital to hear from someone who’s in Ukraine, unfortunately, facing the dreadful consequences that war brings to society. Instead of heated arguments, it’s a good idea to discuss several questions, such as:

• What do you think led to the start of this conflict?
  • How do you think countries should aid Ukraine and its refugees?
  • Is there still room for negotiation to end the war early?

It’s also easy to start shaming one another during such times. Remember to look at things from multiple perspectives. I think it’s good to hold your opinion, and you should hold your opinion. But forcing your opinion against others is not okay. Remember that without borders, politics, nations, we are all one species. Let’s give each other respect.

Let’s also not forget the purpose of this topic and continue to support Alexbrand and his family.

6 Likes

What? (20 chars are confused)

2 Likes

It was 4 AM when I wrote this. Don’t mind. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

:vulcan_salute:t2::vulcan_salute:t2::vulcan_salute:t2::vulcan_salute:t2::vulcan_salute:t2:

Solute to you Ukrainians
We will support you until the end

1 Like

My friends and I talked about this war at school.
Everyone had several theories as to WHY Putin is invading Ukraine.

Does anybody know why?

All I got was that Putin wants to make the entire world “Russia” or something… (Still thinking of Voldemort (0 H 0))

1 Like

unfortunately, no one here understands or knows why Russia is invading Ukraine perhaps he wants to expand the Russian border to match that of the soviet unions reign or maybe he just wants to stop natos expansion eastward but so far nobody knows.

1 Like

I heard that it was because Ukraine was wanting to join NATO but Putin doesn’t want the western influence on his borders.

2 Likes

This is all just stupid.

How is NATO bothering Putin! Why should he care!? LET UKRAINE BE!!!

2 Likes