We are done, Greeders! Comments and random thoughts

I’m very interested to see how that code is done. I am not familiar enough with physics mathematics to understand it from just that little spoiler. It sounds like an amazingly efficient way to solve for heavy coin regions.

Hi @BubbleDragon. Now the official results have been released I guess you will see that my strategy is quite similar to what you describe. I had wondered if I was the only one to consider this idea!

Still working on my own blog post, but you can all see my code on Github now anyway. :smile:

I’ve had a little time to skim some of people’s strategy posts here and they’ve all been very interesting — I hope to read them in a lot more detail over the weekend when I have some more time on hand.

1 Like

Hmm.

274 marthyi 325 - 43 - 9

I wonder how someone with that good of a ratio ended up beneath people with 0 wins.

Did they cheat? :stuck_out_tongue:

@WizardDude That’s a great read, thanks for providing your solution! Congrats on winning the competition.

I used a similar force based approach and have posted my code here: https://github.com/justinstimatze/greed/blob/master/README.md

A player shared his code with two coworkers, so we put them at the end of the human ladder.

First of all, good game, everyone! It was lots of fun competing against all of you! Most of the features of my coin gathering strategy has already been mentioned above, so I’ll skip over to the combat side of things.

The focus of my combat strategy was to defend against “small forces” from early rushes by opponents that got lucky coin spawns early in the match, or from the remnants of the enemy force after a big battle in the middle of the board. The general idea is to let the opponent’s melee units through to attack my base, and then to swarm them with munchkins/soldiers while they are attacking my base. After a small delay to allow the enemy melee units to get worn down a bit and to avoid splash damage from the enemy librarian(s)/shaman(s), I’d build an ogre/knight for each enemy librarian/shaman. They should finish off the enemy melee forces and then go after the enemy librarian/shaman. In most cases, the ogres/knights can take out the enemy librarian/shaman before enemy reinforcements arrive.

When it works, this is a favorable exchange of +15 gold per enemy librarian/shaman versus my ogre/knight and +5 gold per enemy knight/ogre per my two munchkins/soldiers. In some cases, this exchange could be repeated several times before my base’s health falls too low to put it at further risk. While it could, in rare instances, net me a win, the primary purpose of this tactic is to turn potential losses into ties. Ties don’t appear to matter very much on ladder scoring system, but are (in my opinion) a bigger deal for the win-loss ratio scoring method to determine the winners of this tournament.

I’ve seen @WizardDude code shared by schmatz. Very impressive. Makes me feel little and stupid :slight_smile:

If you could explain it, please? I really tried to translate it but it is too complex.

Great game! Loved the process of improving and seeing stronger opponent’s strategy, then improve again :stuck_out_tongue:

Ended up at #41 only to realise Webstorm license goes up to #40

Anyone who doesn’t need/want it I’ll love to have it!

Hi all,

I’ve been seriously pressed for time lately but I’ve been trying to scrape together a site and blog post about my experience with the tournament. You can now read that here:

http://michaelheasell.com/blog/2014/06/19/greed-2014-the-road-to-victory/

My site/blog is very new and put together quite quickly so I apologise for any rough edges. In any case, I hope what I have written interests some people.

@hjavierog I want to do another post soon that steps through the actual code and architecture in some detail. If you are interested in this I will let you know once it is completed.

2 Likes