"Magma Mountain" Bugs and Feedback

When is Lava Lake Clash Starting?

1 Like

Whenever I try to load a level, I receive this error message, even when I use direct.codecombat.com:

I tried commenting out my code, but I still received the error.

same but with just normal coco server

Sorry, should be fixed right now. Thank you!

1 Like

Bryukh can you give us a hint on some of the changes that will be added in the final arena or is that info top secret

Kamehameha
keep_pace

3 Likes

so in this arean you can move through you own lava? or can you not answer any questions and we have to wait for the new arean to come out next month

I’ve noticed what appears as inconsistent results when using an and condition in python with TWO magma methods. I am getting correct True results in all other and circumstances and nested if statements.

All of these are running in a WHILE TRUE loop with no other code, and against the same bot.

if hero.direction == "up" and hero.lavaAtXY(hero.x , hero.y + 4) > 0:
        # never returns true (bad... main problem!)

# all below statements behave as expected:
    if hero.direction == "up" and True:
         # returns true

if True and hero.lavaAtXY(hero.x , hero.y + 4) > 0:
        # returns true

if hero.direction == "up":
        if hero.lavaAtXY(hero.x , hero.y + 4) > 0:
        # returns true

UPDATE:

It suddenly seems to be working. If someone made an update… thanks!

needs to and not not just and

Unless it is a bug with the arena, the only thing I can think of is that the delay between the statements makes them return different values.

1 Like

:no_mouth: @TheCodingCrusader22 , I admire your confidence (I have an 11-year-old who also emphatically makes questionable assertions with absolute certainty), but I’m pretty sure that a missing not isn’t the issue. Note that the other statements I listed were returning True, so the missing NOT shouldn’t and isn’t required to build a proper and statement (though you may disagree with my strategy of looking ahead!). Keep after it!

if True and hero.lavaAtXY(hero.x , hero.y + 4) > 0:
    # returns true

if hero.direction == "up":
    # returns true

No changes were made, the problem with your code is possible that you checked +4, however, the cell size is 2, so if you have a 1-cell width lava trail ahead of you, then you easily skip this.

1 Like

Yep, it’s not a big secret, and I think we will even launch an early beta for the next arena in the next 2 weeks. Lava colors (Yes, blue lava exists :slight_smile: ), additional abilities, no wrapping map, longer trails. The idea is to propagate more aggressive gameplay and dodging.

4 Likes

does this thing in the thang have somthing to do with the new area

Thanks for the response. I am pretty sure I took that into account, but I could see how that might have thwarted my test of using if True and hero.lavaAtXY(hero.x , hero.y + 4) > 0 as that could be at different parts of the board.

This actually gave me an idea for feedback that I’ll post independently.

Feedback Suggestion for hero.say()

Aside from the incredibly satisfying procedures I’ve included at bottom of post, having the ability for a player to use the say method could facilitate debugging similar to print or console.log?

Example

hero.say("lava above! Location is: " + hero.x + "," + hero.y + \
    " at time: " + hero.time)

Sample Satisfying Code Opportunities with hero.say()

# python
if hero.health > 12 and hero.opponent.health  == 1:
     hero.say("GG's!")
// javaScript
if (hero.health < 3 && hero.opponent.health >17){
 hero.say("hacking! I'm going back to the bug lobby!");
}

console.log is available everywhere.

2 Likes

Yep :eyes:, lets throw some lava!

2 Likes

You’re correct of course and I’ve used console.log plenty. However, we were just being mindful of younger, less experienced competitors[1] who may not be as famaliar with some of their browser’s hidden features.

1. (LIES! we just wanted to taunt opponents) ↩︎

remember kids look in the tang editor to see what Bryukh is up to :smile:

1 Like