Is Codecombat meant for learners who have a teacher available?

I’m perceiving a lack of people/resources on Codecombat to turn to for help when one is stuck.
For instance, I find it would be great to have a way of asking for help or getting more info directly from inside the levels. Also, the categories in this forum seem to be mostly addressed to contributors, not learners.
I have come across many cases where I could make the code work, but didn’t quite understand why it worked like that and had questions about what does what exactly and how.
Could it be that Codecombat is just not intended for self-learning, but generally assumes that there is a teacher available to learners who already knows how to code in Python/Javascript?

1 Like

No, I personally don’t have a teacher I am self thought. My brother and I both help each other out sometimes but other than that I don’t have a teacher So no, you don’t have a need to have a teacher for Codecombat.

5 Likes

No. Self-learning is what most people do here.

Have you tried the search feature? Having only read a total of 3 topics and 7 posts, I’m guessing not.

Are you a subscriber? If so, the staff will be happy to answer any question you have using the contact form in the game. I’ve received a response to every question I’ve ever submitted there. There’s a contact button in every level.

Anyway, I couldn’t disagree more. I’ve learned a ton using Code Combat - on my own and using this forum for assistance when needed. If you have a question, ask away. I’ve asked about things I didn’t understand and received comprehensive answers. This board is a wealth of information and I find many answers just using the search feature. My only complaint and frustration is that sometimes I’d like my questions answered a bit faster so I can keep going.

Along my journey of learning to code, I’ve discovered that it is critically important to learn how to figure things out. This is something that can’t be taught. The only way to learn it is by doing it. There is no easy path. Troubleshooting broken code is an essential skill which is why I volunteer on this board. Every time someone posts broken code and asks for assistance, it’s a new puzzle for me to figure out. Helping others learn helps me learn.

I don’t know where you’re from but this is an substantial reason why U.S. schools rank so abysmally poor when compared to other industrialized nations. Students are not taught to think critically; they are spoon fed material to simply memorize and regurgitate. This type of teaching doesn’t work with coding. With coding, you must use your brain to analyze, think in logical progression, and find solutions - and eventually, you have to learn to do it on your own or you will never learn it at all. Until then feel free to lean on this forum whenever needed. That’s what it’s here for. I’ll help when I can and there are many others who are far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am when I’m not around or can’t assist.

7 Likes

I am “self taught” on here, perhaps the answers you seek are in the locked levels. I can say with confidence that this has been a very educational journey and I agree with MunkeyShynes on the game requiring you to think critically and troubleshoot. Times I have issues finding things on the games hint section or the forums here I consult with google (only went with google twice in 220+ levels) but yes I am a subscriber/contributor.

1 Like

I managed to get to the glacier without subscription and I am also self.learning but after that point I enjoyed it so much that i decided to subscribe just to support codecombat.

Of course codecombat is for beginners maybe people find some levels hard but seriously I’ve been doing some otherwebsites (not game) and what they call “easy” is nearly unbearable for me.

Just walk one step at a time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can always make a post on the forum if you need help on the level or you received an error message that you don’t know how to fix. We will be happy to help! :smile: But you will have to give us time if we do not reply for a while.

3 Likes

I am on glacier and I don’t have subscription. I am also self taught.

3 Likes

No - what would you have had me search for? I was looking around the forum not with a specific question in mind but just to see where I could post one if it should arise. Look at the forum categories:
Artisan, Scribe, Adventurer, Ambassador, Archmage, Diplomat… - reading their descriptions, I am none of these categories. These are all people who actively contribute in building Codecombat, learners are not there.
Bug, Solved, Teachers, Uncategorized:
Which of these categories tells you that it’s the one for posting coding-questions if you’re a learner?
If it’s “uncategorized”, that is just a bad label!

Are you a subscriber? If so, the staff will be happy to answer any question you have using the contact form in the game. I’ve received a response to every question I’ve ever submitted there. There’s a contact button in every level.

That’s good to know. I’m not yet a subsriber and posting these questions to find out if I should do it.
I want to subscribe if:
1: There are helpful people to turn to when I’m stuck => obviously, yes, at least her in the forum! Apparently the contact buttons is hidden for non-subscribers - but I also haven’t seen it mentioned elsewhere that you can get support from staff if you subscribe.
2. There’s a place I can look up standard knowledge without having to bother other people, such as a wiki, knowledge base etc. => apparently there isn’t. People are each keeping there own codecyclopedias/repositories of acquired knowledge individually - at least that’s the answer I was getting to my other question.

Anyway, I couldn’t disagree more. I’ve learned a ton using Code Combat - on my own and using this forum for assistance when needed. If you have a question, ask away. I’ve asked about things I didn’t understand and received comprehensive answers. This board is a wealth of information and I find many answers just using the search feature.

Now I know and will keep this in mind for the future. It’s just that this forum is absolutely not advertising itself as a place for looking things up! - as I hope becomes clear from what I explained above.

Along my journey of learning to code, I’ve discovered that it is critically important to learn how to figure things out. This is something that can’t be taught. The only way to learn it is by doing it. There is no easy path.

Totally agree with you.

Troubleshooting broken code is an essential skill which is why I volunteer on this board. Every time someone posts broken code and asks for assistance, it’s a new puzzle for me to figure out. Helping others learn helps me learn.
I don’t know where you’re from but this is an substantial reason why U.S. schools rank so abysmally poor when compared to other industrialized nations. Students are not taught to think critically; they are spoon fed material to simply memorize and regurgitate. This type of teaching doesn’t work with coding. With coding, you must use your brain to analyze, think in logical progression, and find solutions - and eventually, you have to learn to do it on your own or you will never learn it at all. Until then feel free to lean on this forum whenever needed. That’s what it’s here for. I’ll help when I can and there are many others who are far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am when I’m not around or can’t assist.

Thanks! That’s what I came here to find out! :grinning:

2 Likes

I am talking about information that I know was already mentioned somewhere, in some level I already played, but I don’t know which one (btw I also think it would be helpful if they had not just titles, but also numbers).
Ideally, I feel that the instructions that are scattered throughout the hints sections of each level should also be findable in one codecyclopedia, and hint sections in each level should provide links to relevant chapters to expand on a topic beyond the scope of the specific level.

1 Like

That would be a good idea =) I’ve kept mine in text documents so far but a codecyclopedia would be nice (I know munkeyshynes has a link to their google documents where they have saved all their levels as well, there is a link kicking around these forums)