Is there a way to just start over and delete my progress?

@mikelburk
Wait, LUA in Minecraft?

1 Like

Yes, Computercraft adds a LUA interpreter and programmable turtles. It is a common Forge mod.

1 Like

I’d rather an option to repeat a level without code… meaning I star from scratch… yet don’t lose my progress. Such as in a racing game, the lap time is saved, and you can race again. I know I could easily delete the code… but then if I can’t figure it out again, I lost my successful code… and the other reason I can’t help but to cheat and see the code beforehand.

1 Like

Comment out all the lines!

Seriously, this is how I do my study-homework. “This approach has some good ideas, better keep it as a comment and start over.”

1 Like

I use GitHub gists as cheap version control for my CC code.

My code for each multiplayer level is added as a new file in a gist.

2 Likes

@dideler any interest in helping us with https://github.com/codecombat/codecombat/issues/264 so that this could happen automatically?

1 Like

now its a Minecraft post lol

1 Like

I really don’t think what he is asking is completely out of line. I actually was wanting to ask the same question. I have five kids, and can really only play a couple levels a day if I’m lucky. I got through quite a few with python but then realized I wanted to do Javascript. with needy kids and almost no free time just wanting to start fresh without creating alternate accounts would be awesome. otherwise I have to load levels, remember where I was in Javascript, find the corrisponding python level, load, watch the code problems, clear code, restart, even though everything is already completed in Python. It’s not a big deal either way, and I just started a new account with an alternate E-mail, but it would have been nice to just wipe it clean and start over in the language I should have started from in the first place. Another solution would be just to pick your language on start up and have different maps and completion for each different language which would make it easier to find where I left off and with what language.

2 Likes

Maybe you missed this, but Nick had a solution for me.

But by this time I had already re-played the levels using an alternate email and then when I caught up to my progress I switched back to my gmail account.

1 Like

I love the OP’s question, and thanks for the answer nick. It would be awesome to have the ability to switch languages without resetting every level, and even keep the old code with the other language.

I didn’t understand why there was such admonishment shown against him by other posters, great thought, great idea.

1 Like

I personally can’t get past level 6 because i was supposed to buy the rusty copper armor but i bought the sharpened sword so i literally can’t get past the tutorial levels because a bought item reset button hasn’t been implemented

1 Like

If this happens you can message nick at nick@codecombat.com and ask him to reset you purchases

1 Like

I’ve reset your purchases, @loneniller123, so you should be able to snag the armor now. I’ve also adjusted the item availability so that it’s much harder to make the wrong purchase and get stuck. Sorry about that!

1 Like

I do agree with this, and I like the Nick thought on this :

This topic has come up from its grave this week, so I’d like to suggest an idea about grinding. I do think grinding is important to a game, because it adds longevity. Trying to optimize stuff is a way to feel good, and as an example WoW was this successful partly because of the eternal grinding machine that it is. People like to grind, that’s a weird thing but they do (I used to do too myself). My first thought was

There is no way to repeat levels for more gems in CodeCombat, because :

1. Copy paste
  2. Resend
  3. Rince & repeat

That leads to infinite gems, which ruins the business model of the game. So : big nono.

Then I tried to come up with better ideas. I’m no pro in game development, but a game that:

1) prevent copy pasting in grinding mode (or simply no gems when paste is detected)
2) Halves the gems earnt for each victory (floored)

could theoretically work.

Students would have to retype from scratch every time their code entirely with their own keyboard (good for learning), and the amount of gems earnt from an infinity of victories couldn’t be more than twice the normal amount provided by the campain.

IMO, there are many good things to get CodeCombat a grinding dimension, from the learning perspective to the increase of the addiction to the game. Also provides a (diminushing) reward to start over in an other language. I like my games to be nooby friendly and also hardcore friendly at the same time (like a good ol’ DonkeyKong), and grinding is the hardcore part of RPG.

To compensate the influx of Gems that would come out of this (potential) feature, the shop should probably be adjusted too (Vanity items ? More items ? Global inflation ?). Hope this is constructive.

1 Like

It seems a little (okay, a lot) too boring to me–do the same level over again by just typing the solution again? Maybe if the level were sufficiently randomized so that it was pretty much a different level every time… but so far we haven’t done any levels where the solution code would vary dramatically based on the random seed. We could, though–totally randomized dungeon crawls. I think it would need to rely on strategy changes and flags during real-time mode in order to not be the most boring thing, though, instead of trying to prevent copy-paste.

2 Likes

while I see why this would be very boring it would be helpful for the point of being able to type to command over and over to know it without looking it up

1 Like

Has there been any implementation yet where you can reset code?

Oris there a way where you can keep one code type in that code language level? (aka, I beat the game on javascript, but when I switch to python for the first time, all the levels show their original preset code for the python language, like I’ve never touched or seen them.)

That would be awesome for when switching to a new language.

1 Like

I have a database script that can reset all your levels’ code to the default in a new code language, which I am happy to use for any subscriber that emails me through the subscriber support on the contact form on the website. Haven’t hooked up an automated UI everyone can use for this yet.

1 Like

Thank you. That sotonin guy is really obnoxious. I, too, want to switch languages. Actually, I’m a teacher and starting a new class that I want to be in python instead of JS. Would the plus address be the right way to go or is there a better way?

2 Likes

But in the context of programming, “grinding” would be re-optimizing your code. And certainly that is an element in the current game, as you have to “fight” again and again, and you reuse previous code and refine it, or you have to get coins, so you refine that.

I think that’s the best form of “grinding” in codecombat.

1 Like