Level 6 subscription bug?

The original issue is that you would face a paywall when trying to play the 6th level, which appears to be (and used to be) a free level. This seemed to be a bug. In fact, it is expected behavior introduced by the new pricing model.

1 Like

Oh I get it. thanks @UltCombo. Iā€™ll try not to get lost in these conversations from now on. Sorry to ask a lot of questions but I have one more. Does discussing that enable @joshlayton1 to be able to play the level?

I guess thatā€™s the closest thing that can be done.

1 Like

Oh ok thanks again @UltCombo

1 Like

Iā€™m very upset that CodeCombat just quit following its own mission. I understand the need to pay for the resources you use and I really never knew the source of your funding. But pick countries like Brazil and China and just block the access to the basic levels is not ok. I know CC for a long time and Iā€™m also a Diplomat, helping to translate CC.

Now I feel like I was stolen, because I tried to show CC to my daughter and she only could play 5 levels. How many hours you got of effort from brazilians, not just translating, but Iā€™m sure you have people from Brazil doing contributions in many other ways. Now you get the hours weā€™ve put in the game, and block the brazilians to get access to the very levels we helped to build.

To have bonus levels and other resources paid is ok, because with those youā€™re not blocking people to learn, but blocking access to the basic levels I consider abusive for a site that states that want to ā€œmake programming accessible to everyoneā€ and also that itā€™s based on open source and a community. If until now I promoted CC and told to all people I know that it was a very good site for children and teenagers, now Iā€™m going to tell them a very different history, unfortunally. You have just broke the community you created. And no, itā€™s not ā€œsolvedā€.

1 Like

@Itamar_Carvalho I can see how not being able to progress without a paid subscription could be frustrating. Unfortunately, seldom does stating ones frustration ever solve a problem. I have noticed that when a challenge is presented in a effective manner it can serve as the catalyst for change.

The basic fact I think in this is that nothing is free. The idea of free is a misnomer and often causes people to believe in a concept that is not true to life itself. Even charity comes at a cost. One cannot help another without taking their time to do so.

I am just another community member, but if the guys at Code Combat were creating local servers to serve your area (CDNā€™s ? ), I would hardly think that they mean to cause issues for students to learn that may be at a disadvantage. Perhaps their current business model doesnā€™t take into consideration an additional challenge from your area?

In particular if you have made considerable contributions to the content, and had hoped that your daughter would be able to use that to learn to code then this could perhaps be the first challenge to the team?

ā€œCould they provide your daughter with a way to access the content as you were a major translator?ā€

A second challenge seems to be that there may be people in Brazil or China that cannot afford this as a resource? And that by requiring them to ā€œpayā€ this may be alienating otherwise deserving students?

ā€œIs there a charity that might help sponsor students in these areas as part of the ā€œHour of Codeā€ or for teaching IT to studentsā€

Another thought, CodeCombat is said to be ā€œopen sourceā€, this might allow for a branch off and the ability to create a free lesson sequence for children in Brazil? All this would require is someone there to sponsor a server so that the students could gain access to it.

I donā€™t know how that works, but normally we start with and an idea to improve things:

ā€œFIFA Combatā€ - a game inspired by CodeCombat and running on their Aether Engine

(pardon my poor illustration I am not a professional artist)

• A nonviolent team based game
  • Teaches students how to program in Python and Javascript
  • Promotes the team work mindset
  • Sports theme to encourage students who might be into sports to try technology as well
  • Runs on and contributes back to the Code Combat open source base

This could provide students in Brazil who cannot yet afford access to CodeCombat an additional tool to practice on and give them a chance to become part of the open source community after they have learned coding. It would also offer a ā€œnonā€ violent version of the CodeCombat type games for students and classes that are looking for something like this.

Anyhow just a thought, good things happen when we choose to believe in something good and think of effective solutions to the challenges presented us.

Believe,
-HW

2 Likes

I am not playing from brazil but the US and I am having the same problem how can I fix it?

Hello i am typing thi of my sisters computer. We live in australia and my sister cant get past the 6th level just like mentioned before, while me, on a diferent computer, in australia, also with a free account and am able to do all the free levels.
i think this is more than a bug, so please fix this as you had probably had a bug in the subsciption compared to free account. This probably means u guys are giving the subscriptions to only some people. this is not fair and i demand everyone on a free account, wether they are in Aus, Brazil, France, and even US to get ALL LEVELS FREE. How are you even supporting brazil players by making them pay, i mean NO SENSE HERE NO LOGIC, @nick iwouldn;t b surprised if u had a codecombat account that is one of the advanced ones for free. I DEMAND FREE ACCOUNTS ACROSS ALL LEVELS!!!EVERY COUNTRY!!!ANYONE!!! U guys already get funding from companies like HyperX for tournaments! Surely u arent going to make us pay for a ā€œFREE ACCOUNTā€ i have a free account but my sister doesnt cuz she only gets 6 LEVELS@nick actually do something as there is nothing else.

Good luck with the changing of ā€œFREE ACCOUNTSā€
kind regards maddie

Sorry, but they cut free content recently.

1 Like

If by recently you mean like 9+ months ago, sure :]