Translation Standards & Google keywords

Hello,

I’d like to start helping at translating the game in my mother tongue (french). I spent 3 years abroad speaking english only, so I guess I could give a hand to the Diplomat Team. I went over this page, selected french, and saw less than 70% complete, as I suspected when playing the solo campain. I started clicking on empty inputboxes, started translating and clicked several “submit changes” -without being sure of what this button actually does.

But before going any further, I’m concerned with coherence, as I would likely not translate with the same standards as people before me. Is there somewhere a list of “to do & not to do” in the diplomatic function ? I searched a little, but couldn’t find any.

For example, how should the international community translate level names, and specific names (Cloudrip Commander, Sarven Treasure etc). A fully translated game could mess up a keyword search for help in google.

Example : “CodeCombat Le commandeur de TrancheCiel” instead of “CodeCombat Cloudrip Commander” could lead french teens to a dead end if they’re looking for help. What’s the correct way to do translate names ?

1. Keep level names as is, to maximize google keyword recognition.
  2. Translate everything except “last name type” words (Sarven, Cloudrip) and let google deal with localization.
  3. Fully translate for a better in game immersion.
  4. Other ?

Generally we translate level names, for example for our Norwegian translations:

https://github.com/codecombat/codecombat/wiki/i18n-Glossary-nb

Although you bring up a very good point with Google keyword recognition, the player is able to change their language to English in order to easily find the name of the level that will be used on the majority of forum posts here.

2 Likes

I think there should be a Tip somewhere at some point in the game towards non-english speaker players to inform they can find keywords of the level name in to url bar. Googling should be a whole lot easier with the words “CodeCombat”+“Forum”+"[EnglishLevelName]"+“Help”.

Getting something about how to search (be it the forum, Google, etc) would be a great thing to get into the FAQ (then if there were only some way to make them read it.)

I wish people would search before posting . . . the forum itself has a search feature. It even tries to point out that your new topic is similar to other topics (though it is pretty bad at it).

Hmm, is the FAQ itself translated?
(or even translatable, as in is there someway to access a translated version.)

Although you bring up a very good point with Google keyword recognition, the player is able to change their language to English in order to easily find the name of the level that will be used on the majority of forum posts here.

Maybe there should be an option to choose to translate towns name or not ?

What if each level guide automatically had a link to the forum search results page for the current level?

3 Likes